Pre-employment Program: Back of House
Back of House – Kitchen hand
Paid by employment service provider
39/617-643 Spencer Street
West Melbourne, 3003
- 5 consecutive face to face classes
- Monday & Tuesday 12pm-4pm, Wednesday to Friday 7.30am – 12pm
The Pre Employment Programs are designed for job seekers as a pathway into entry level employment or further studies in hospitality. These courses will provide basic skills for job seekers to confidently enter a hospitality workplace. On completion of the course SIU trainers will endorse skills for candidates that have demonstrated these skills to allow for better job matching with our partner Hospo HR.
Key skills and topics covered in training:
- Food Handler’s Level 1
- Safe work practices in a kitchen
- Personal hygiene
- Open and close
- Clean and sanitise the kitchen & all equipment
- Equipment knowledge/use
- Basic knife skills
- Basic food prep
- Stock control (how to accept and order and FIFO)
- Lunch provided daily
- Food Handler’s Level 1 – SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- Statement of participation – Kitchen Essentials – Basic food preparation, maintain kitchen premises, knife skills and work health safety.
Participant Entrance Requirements
- Referred by employment service provider
- Age over 18
- Covid-19 vaccination certificate
- Bring ID to enrol in nationally recognised units (proof of age card, driver’s license, or passport)
- Speak and understand English
- Ability to use a computer and the internet to undertake online assessment -we can provide laptops on-site or paper assessments if needed
- Wear neat casual attire, all black
- Wear enclosed toe non-slip shoes
- Attend all practical classes and stay for duration
- Complete all assessments
- Treat the class like a workplace
- Provide an updated resume with availability
SIU is partnering with Hospo HR to Job match candidates with employers. We work together to ensure the right person is matched with the right employer. If it doesn’t quite “fit” the first time we will try again. Candidate Skills Reports will be provided to employment service providers after each course, with details of employment referrals.
SIU can only endorse skills if the candidate attends each class and completes all work and has a good work ethic.
Employer Service Provider Referral Information
1) Ideally send all referrals to email@example.com by 3pm Thursday prior to the next course
2) Use this spreadsheet to send candidate referrals where possible
3) We will call every referral to confirm their attendance and send a reminder text
4) We will provide daily attendance reports, weekly skills reports and weekly/fortnightly job updates. We will call those students who miss a class.
5) We will invoice based on candidates coming to their second class @$1200 per person. Invoices will be sent at the end of each week. Fees are GST free.
Andy, Steph a , Bridget, Steph m and more where all really good to work with they made it so I really enjoyed coming to class. All the staff here are awesome! And I got a job from Steph m!
She was such a big help with everything! Made everything less stressful and was always around to help I couldn’t thank her enough! All and all I couldn’t recommend serve it up enough!”
“I just want to say thank you for all your teaching and support during my time at Serve It Up. I am very grateful for all the Sim Services and definitely the opportunity to work in the cafe. It definitely gave me a glance at how life would be on my feet for more than 4 hours. I really do appreciate it and all the lessons I learned the way.”
“I wanted to say a huge thank you for being so supportive and a wonderful trainer, I really enjoyed our classes and it got me an amazing job!”